Happy Earth Day. Remember that the single most important thing you can do to save the planet is to eliminate or significantly reduce your meat consumption (yes, birds and fish included).
Food for thought:
- A 2006 United Nations report found that the meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUVs, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined.
- Only 10% of the oceans' big fish population remains, the other 90% wiped out mostly by industrial fishing.
- Because it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of animal flesh, using 1 acre of land to raise cattle for slaughter yields only 20 pounds of edible protein. If soybeans were grown instead, that 1 acre would yield 356 pounds of edible protein.
Now that green is officially the new black, I'm hopeful more people will discover how serious an impact the meat industry is making on our environment. Pathetically, world hunger still plagues our planet--people are starving to death in Haiti, just 600 miles off the coast of Florida--but if mankind simply ceased slaughtering animals for food, world hunger could cease to exist.